Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year, Almost Divorced, Fresh Start

I was very inspired by Danielle's last post, so I'm back into the blogosphere. I'm back with a new blog, new attitudes, a broken heart and severe wounds, but back nonetheless. I'm also back with a stronger testimony of Christ, family, and friends.

I'm not really in the mood to contemplate the complexities of life today, but no fear, I'm sure I will be ready soon enough.

I'm also not up to recapping my year in detail. You all know what happened. Hell broke loose.

But you know what? I am optimistic. I have skills, a degree, a teaching certificate, a decent settlement, three wonderful daughters, a great family, true friends, the gospel and everything that goes with it, and let's not forget, a dog that drive's me to the point of inhumane thoughts, but at least distracts me from my real problems.

Danielle's blog inspired me so much I decided to follow.

2010 goals for Rebecca
1) Create a budget that works and stick to it. (This will take divine intervention, but I believe in divine intervention.)

2) No traffic tickets or library fines. (This may prove to be the most difficult and the most important financial goal I'll ever make. Difficult because it will require that I actually follow the law all of the time, not just part of the time. Difficult because the whole getting the library books to the library on time is sooooooo hard for me. So hard that I tried to get onto the library board, because people on the library board don't have due dates, which results in no library fines. However I was rejected, for obvious reasons I guess. And then it is important because the amount of money I have wasted on traffic tickets and library fines, invested with compound interest in 50 years would probably be $50,000!!!And then if you add up all of the future money I could possibly waste on tickets and fines and invest it, I could probably retire on it!!! Yes, probably the most difficult and important financial goal I'll ever make!)

3) Lose weight. (I know this is everyone's new year's resolutions, but I guess I fit in with the crowd this year. I am joining Weight Watchers this Wednesday with a new friend from my ward. Some of you might think this is a big goal for someone who is recently divorced, but let me tell you. If I don't make some drastic changes soon, I'm going to be the first person to die from an overdose of sugar. The headline will read "SEEMINGLY HEALTHY 33 YEAR OLD WOMAN DIES, INVESTIGATION REVEALS FIRST EVER SUGAR POISONING".)

I need to make a spiritual goal, but I don't have one. My unofficial one from last year will continue, weekly temple attendance. But I need a new one, and there are so many to choose from, I will need more time to contemplate.

In so many ways I have more stress and less time as a single mom. However, I have more time and less stress also. More time when Darin has the kids for scheduled visits. And less stress because I don't have to worry about Darin or try to please him. So I'm going to try to make up for some lost time I spent worrying about Darin, wasting my time trying to please him, and try to worry about myself and please myself. The way I'm going to do that is with the top three goals. Especially the budget and the weight.

I just remembered a 4th.
4) Call my herbologist and a get started on my herbal regimen for my uterine problems (in other words my 'almost bleeding to death every month' problem).

Number 4 is another thing I put on the back burner because of Darin.

New subject. It's snowing big huge heavy flakes which means one thing--Sticky. The girls went out all snow clothed and ran right back in to announce that it is sticky. This is a big deal, because it is usually very dry and therefore unable to produce snowmen, snowballs and the like. Gracie came in early and just a moment ago I said to her, "It's soooo pretty out there," and she replied, "I know! It makes me want to cry!" Life is good. It's snowing, my house is warm, my kids are playing and I finally blogged. Love you all and happy new year.

10 comments:

  1. GREAT post. Loved it all. Dinner was delicious, by the way. Thanks again. Ummmmmmmmmmmm....loved Gracie's cute little comment at the end. So precious. You made me laugh out loud about the dog. So funny. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals. I'm glad you have a new blog. You're totally right about pleasing yourself. I know this is the most miniscule example compared to your life right now. But the last boyfriend (Dave) I had before Greg, when we broke up, I was all messed up inside for a good year- my point being, my life started to massively improve after I saw Under the Tuscan Sun (you should totally see it) and it inspired me to do everything I always wanted to, but never did. I started painting, and learning to cook and trying new things. It was the hardest and yet most wonderful, life changing year. So pursue your happiness. It is so achievable. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we talk everyday, but this is different. I got to read it with no interruptions about poopy diapers. A real treat. Love you. I'm glad your coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that was great!! I happened to read it while dad was still eating so I read it to him. I laughed and almost cried. I was reminded of what a great writer you are. Loved the Gracie comment! Admire the goals. I haven't been able to do that yet. I started to, but.....I'm grateful you have a dog also, and that you have started a blog, and that you are doing good. I have more pics to blog will get around to it. I love you !!! I hope today was a good day, you have been on mine and your Fathers mind all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post!- I loved gracie's comment! so funny and sweet. I love your goals- I think they are smart and righteous, and good. I think if you do those things you will be a very happy person. I thought of a song- imagine the tune in wizard of oz, when they sing the "ding dong the witch is dead" ok?- "Ding dong the ass is gone- the ass is gone,the ass is gone- ding dong the wicked ass is gone!" And because he is gone, your life will be SO much better, and it will be SO much easier to accomplish the goals you desire. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the 4th time I have tried to make a comment. Hugs grams If this works I will do one. grams

    ReplyDelete
  7. It worked and I wanted to congratulate you on your goals, you are right about the speeding tickets, I bet if grandpa had a investment of all the tickets he paid he would have a big chunk of change. I have a love/hate relationship with the cat we have so I can relate to the inhumane thoughts. Sometimes I would murder the cat, but then sometimes he is so cute and then I forgive him for his getting hair on the bed and being disdainful when he wants things his way. I think dogs are way better although there were times when I wanted to do things to her too. All kidding aside the cat is better at times as we don't have to worry about him, if we leave him as for Brandy we always had to have some stay here for her. I loved Gracie's comment about the snow, and I remember how much fun we had in the snow at times, and how I loved to ski. I know your goal for the weight is one you will achieve so you go girl. Wonderful goal of going to the Temple once a week. I thought Amy's thought of the song was great, and so now you only have to please yourself and the girls. EASY for you I love you kiss the girls for me and I miss you grams

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rebecca,I was looking at your mom and dads page and I saw that you had a blog. I hope you don't mind, but I added you to my blog list in hopes to know whats happening in my extended families lives. It looks like Christmas was so much fun with your family! I love this time of year to reflect back on the previous year and look forward to another year. Reading your goals made me want to add some more to my list. Anyways I hope this year brings you all the happiness in the world, you deserve it. Have a great weekend! Oh by the way your kiddos are sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your back in the blogging world! I kept updated a little from your mom when I saw her a bit this year and I am SO GLAD that things are finally looking up for you guys and your getting into a new routine for your fresh start. The girls are adorable and getting so big! Can't wait to see what blessings and wonderfulness (hmm, is that a word?) this year brings for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Rebecca,I'm Shad's mom...hope you don't mind that I read your blog; I regularly catch up on your family through their blogs and love knowing about your lives, as I feel we truly are all a connected family. I loved the time we all went to Ed Week together...if you ever want to do it again, "mi casa es tu casa"... you are all more than welcome to come stay with me in Lehi. After my divorce I struggled with so many emotions (probably all of them, the negative ones definately being the primary ones) and so often things people said to me hoping to help (or not)just made things worse. But I want to share something one of my special friends said that was a turning point for me. She said "I just don't believe Heavenly Father would want one of His daughters to be in a situation in which she is unable to grow spiritually". Bingo. For me it was like words came directly from Heavenly Father. Those may not be the words that help you the most, but I believe there will be a turning point where you know you are going to be okey. Love, hugs and prayers, Marion

    ReplyDelete